Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Current News - Do You Like to Argue But Hate to Lose?

Some news articles really excite me while other articles make me upset. For example, this morning there was an economic article about job losses in America. The article said that there was a net loss of jobs in December 2009, which was a bit of a surprise to economic forecasters. I was not surprised by this current news. Last month, in November, when the job loss situation improved significantly there were a lot of journalists projecting the beginning of an improved job market going forward. The economists who issued the statistics in November warned against that kind of optimism and recommended a wait and see approach. That made sense to me; hence I was less surprised by the December backslide into job losses.

The point is, news is emotional stuff. What happens is the news sets off a whole network of memory associations, and these associations produce an emotional reaction. My memories of the economists' warnings in November allowed me to feel dismissive of the journalists optimism and therefore not surprised by December's job losses. On the other hand, if you have no knowledge or memories about a news item then you can only process it intellectually, there are no emotional memories involved.

So skip forward a few hours and find me in a discussion with my son about the employment report. He was disappointed and argued that the numbers were merely a seasonal oddity. He didn't remember the November statistics or the warnings to "wait and see." At any rate, I didn't want to argue with him or make him feel worse about an already disappointing situation, but to myself I just noted the process. Since I had a memory reference, my emotions were brought into play rather than just reacting to current news.

If you have had enough confusion and arguments over current news, but still love following the news, here's my # 1 solution for soritng out your feelings. Stop being overwhelmed, confused and frustrated by current events and find a solution by Clicking Here for
http://toddroyer.com/current_events_1.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It gets down to select a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]